Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Website is Down

I like things that are funny. I can't always tell you why I think something is funny, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. I admit that I try to prefer high brow, more refined humor, things that don't capitalize on easy laughs, jokes that are based on knee jerk infantile reactions, but that's not always possible.

With that said, I found 'The Website is Down' absolutely hilarious. Be forewarned that this is a not safe for work link. This has a health mix of low brow and high brow humor that I think really makes for good entertainment.

It appears that this is the first video, "Sales Guy vs. Web Dude". And by all regards, they have definitely come with it.

Admittedly, this wouldn't be near as funny were it not for the stretched voice pitch that makes everyone in the thing sound like characters from South Park. Also, if you've never been in a situation where you're providing some kind of technical support to someone who is less than savvy, it might not seem as funny. To me, though, it's the some of the funniest 'screen cast sit-com humor' I've seen yet.

I think the little touches are what really put it over the top for me. The fact that this guy is just playing Halo, the fact that he's got Monster.com sitting open when he switches out to his browser. The big flashing "Skip-Intro Pro 2.0 is now available!' on the web page, or the fact that the company's big "web 2.0" logo proclaims them PlasTrolTech Inc., and is absolute garbage. It's just well done.

According to the blog, they've gotten a lot more hits than expected, which seems to have led to the removal of the really awesome image frame that surrounded the video (basically it was just a monitor on a desk, but it added a 'sense of realism' as it were). I don't feel bad plugging it, though, because so few people actually read my blog I doubt I'll have much effect on his bandwidth costs, but I do worry about what their bill is going to look like.

I can only hope that there will be more soon... as long they don't lose the site for non-payment.

Update - If you want to see the cool old interface that they had set up, it's been hidden here, again, so few hits here should equal minimal damage to them there.

6 comments:

Willynate said...

It would have even been more realistic had he not been playing freaking Halo 2 . . .

But yes, quite funny, especially the desktop screenshot funny business at the end.

Unknown said...

He wasn't playing Halo 2, that was some classic Halo action right there!

It might have been a little more realistic if he'd been playing Starcraft perhaps?

Willynate said...

Either way, it will have repetitive gameplay and retarded 12-year-old boys playing . . .

egami said...

I think the point of the Halo action is that it's a perfect helpless desk stereotype. If anything, I think that helps "make" the video...

Unknown said...

I agree. It's the sort of thing you'd expect someone from the help desk to be doing on their overly virtualized machine while they while away the hours.

Anonymous said...

The link to oldindex doesn't work. However their current index page appears to be the monitor graphic you describe. So maybe they put it back.

I agree this was hilarious. I'm one of the folks who googled for plastroltech. I was expecting something just as funny as the video.