Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nike Hyperdunks: Why?

Nike Hyperdunks?

I grew up with Back to the Future, and of course Back to the Future II (although I've still only seen that piece of garbage they called Back to the Future III once). It's one of the most iconic franchises of my generation.

Now, with that said, I have to admit how cool it was the first time I saw Marty McFly put on his futuristic sneakers:



But personally, it was less amazing to me than the idea of a hover board:



Now, Nike has released a small number of new McFly Hyperdunks, modeled after the shoes featured in Back to the Future II. The small number we're talking about is 350, which is a very small number in way of Nike shoes. I am personally aware of two people who are avid Nike collectors, one of which I'm sure will find a way to own a pair of these. I have to admit that I think both them are insane.

Even with the insight that I have into shoe collecting, I still have a hard time understanding the fact that these are going for $600-$2000. I understand that they are limited edition, I even understand, to some degree, the collectible nature of these things. I do not, however, understand what could really make them worth that much money.

The laces aren't even automatic.

It's clear that there are people out there that have wanted these things or a while now. However, I really don't understand all the fanfare.

I'm sure that I sound hypocritical, I've certainly spent large amounts of money on other collectible items. But none of those were shoes, shoes I would never wear. There are of course toys I'll never play with, but still, they aren't shoes, and they look infinitely more interesting sitting on a shelf than a shoe ever could.

Even when it comes to seeing the Wii and PS3 going for thousands of dollars on eBay, I understand. I wouldn't pay that much myself, but I can understand it. But paying this much for shoes just baffles me.

Now, maybe if they were the original Reebok pumps we might be talking...

No comments: